Monday, February 1, 2010

Beautiful People

Turn down the radio...I want to hear

Turn down the voices...hurting my ear

There's a moment getting away

"Beautiful People," by Jason Upton

I like to just take walks sometimes.  I love to listen to the wind and breath it in as I slowly walk.  I like to tune out the taxis and buses honking, the people on their cell phones, and tune into the loving voice of Jesus.

I was on one of those walks a few months ago, when the air was warm and the trees were alive.  I was walking beside the underneath of a bridge trying to avoid the noise above when I saw this man... and my heart broke.


So many questions fill my head.  Why is he here?  What happened? What is his story?

There is another homeless man that sleeps on our street.  He sleeps under a huge piece of plastic surrounded by his belongings and huddled up against a building trying to keep out of the wind.  Many times Matt and I have tried to show kindness towards this man in particular, but he refuses conversation, food,clothing...

One day we  both went to invite him over to help decorate our Christmas tree and eat cookies.  It was such a cold day and he was sleeping in the snow.  He shook his head no even when I pleaded with him in my pom pom hat.  Questions began to fill my head as we walked away.  Why?  Who hurt him that he can't trust a girl wearing a pom pom hat? Isn't he cold and hungry?  Can he talk, does he understand...Oh God why does he remain alone?

Everyday we drive or walk past him hidden beneath the plastic.  Just wanting to tell him that someone loves him; he is beautiful.



No comments:

Post a Comment