Tuesday, November 17, 2009

You Should Brush Your Teeth Less?!?

So, I decided to get acquainted with Cleveland a little bit more. I got on my bike and headed toward the East side or no the West side...Aahh it is so confusing ( this is some Cleveland lingo I really should get down). I definitely headed toward the West Side. My journey first took me over a Mile long bridge!The picture really doesn't do the slope of the bridge justice. As I started peddling, I started changing my gears down...down...down...this was supposed to keep going, but my gears were jammed! They made a clicking noise on anything below the hardest gear. Then after the click came a sputter in which my bike stopped and I julted forward. Let me remind you I am not the most talented biker in the world. I turned the gears back to 7-the hardest, so that I didn't fall off my bike in front of traffic. That would be embarrassing, but don't worry I was on the sidewalk (like always). I was not worried about biking in gear 7, I mean for goodness sake I was an athlete. No challenge to great...as I broke a sweat and got to the point where I need to stand up to pedal. Then I got to the point where you are standing up pedalling, huffing and puffing, and the bike is barely moving. I made it to the top completely out of breath, with huge pit stains, and my hair now wet beneath the helmet ( as if helmet hair wasn't bad enough).
The ride down felt amazing as the wind cooled my face. All of a sudden, I had forgotten how absolutley ridiculous I looked pedaling up the bridge and now sat tall, shoulders back, dignified, with a sense of pride as I glided down the other side.

My journey took me to the West Side Market (that is how I figured out I was going West and not East-duh).



This place is amazing!!! They sell fruits, vegetables, meat, cheese, pastries, bread, cupcakes, sushi, pizza (which they will make right on the spot),


and Crepes...
There is so much more, but I must stop here. These mouth watering Crepes are incredible. I mean my mouth is watering right now. My favorite and the only one I have tried, it is just so good, is a crepe filled with strawberries, blueberries, sprinkled with powdered sugar ( I always ask for a few more shakes), and whip cream on the top. The strawberries melt and oh it is so Good!!!
Here is a photo of the crepe man. I snapped it really fast...hence the blurriness, but he still noticed and I am not sure if he was caught off guard or not pleased. Ooops. Next time I will ask instead of being sketchy.

Remember please that I am in the learning process, which brings me to the whole title of this post.

I was on my way back from the market, when I noticed some great photo ops. I like taking pictures of objects, but I love most taking them of people. Here are some photos from another visit to the West Side Market that will explain moments I love to capture.

I thought noone had seen me. I was wrong. As I pedaled back, I stopped at a red light and was approached by an elderly man. He had the most peculiar demenor. His bierd was pulled together beneath his chin and wrapped in a ball. His eyes were old with the years, but still full of life. He spoke with a little jump in his step and said,
" Ya know it would go alot better if you dressed differently."
"Excuse me," I said.
" You stand out too much..too clean," he said.
He continued," You should wear clothes like us, dirtied up a bit and worn. Your hair, too nice. And your teeth to white, you should brush less."
"What if I just ate an oreo instead," I said.
He smile and nodded.
I thanked him genuinely for his advice and rode off with a smile.
He yelled out behind me," Are you married?"
I smiled again and said, "Yes," and began back up the hill/bridge more prepared this time for what was ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment