Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Practicing Photography at the Museum


I love art museums and the one in Cleveland was recommended by so many people that I had to visit. I woke up the other morning and was in spontaneous mode. This mode influences me quite a bit from day to day, but this morning the spontaneous spirit within me was very strong. Usually, when it is this strong I get a haircut on a whim, just because my hair won't cooperate. Today it took me on another bike ride. Around a two hour bike ride! Once again, I am no Lance Armstrong, but at this rate I am catching up. I did not know how far away the museum was...let me tell you, it was far!!! I biked about a third of the way and by that time I had sweaty helmet hair, back sweat, and I was afraid to stand up off my bike in fear of something else being wet. It was at that point I began to ask for directions, because by my sense of direction and time I was supposed to be there by now. Word of wisdom...never just look at a Google map and decided how far away something is...actually read the written directions and mileage! I asked an elderly woman, “How much further to the art museum?” She said. “Honey, you have a long ways to go.”

Well, I made it....an hour later. Very sweaty. I lazied my way through the museum (lazied-did I make that up...well I like it). Sketched a little, but its hard to stay focused when everyone is trying to casually peak over your shoulder when you are not looking. The museum was beautiful...I will have to go back when the new wing is complete. I watched an installation and thought...hmmm...maybe one day I could be in a museum (not me, my artwork). Just a dream. Hey you never know with God on your side. What do you think God? No pics of the museum-they took my camera. Outside there was a beautiful park! Take a look. First of all, a ton of ducks. Watch your step. Practicing sun burst F16---it worked!!! Panning. It's when you set your camera on a lower speed. This will allow the blur of the background. Then to capture a moving object in focus...you need to move your camera with the subject. Follow their movement and then click click click. Take a few shots. Takes a little practice to not only stay with them, but to choose the right aperture. Here I am practicing raising the speed of the camera to stop water. If you have your camera in auto, it will most of the time pick the highest speed to ensure nothing is out of focus. It is designed by the same man who did Central Park. I forget what his name was. I learned this fact of the day from a very kind old man. He was a historian and worked at the museums in the area. He told me all about the park, the armor collection in the museum- which was awesome, how Cleveland museum was started, and where they get the artwork. He told me about how severance hall is decorated after the architects wife. One room is fashioned after her wedding dress. Each room represents her. He talked for about an hour, but I really did find it very interesting, I just wish I retained it all. The bike ride back...well I called Matt and asked him to pick me up on his way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment