Thursday, June 3, 2010

Cutback Challenge

Matt and I challenged ourselves to cut our food budget back by $100 this past month.  Don't worry mom we still ate all of our whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.  It is easy to simply resort to canned products in the food store when you want to cut back, but we were challenging ourselves to still eat healthy. We even continued to buy organic dairy which is 2 sometimes 3x more than regular!  I have discovered that if we had a cow, chickens and a garden full of cilantro, tomatoes, red onions, and lettuce oh and avocados we would hardly ever have to go to the food store, but that is a little off topic.

Here is one of the ways we cut back.  Instead of buying tortillas, pre-cooked bean, bread... I decided to make them from scratch.

I found this really simple cheap recipe for whole wheat pitas. See mom?? more grains.  Now I have no idea how much pitas cost (ha maybe I should check to see if I am actually saving)!

Ingredients:
2¼ tsp. instant yeast
1 tbsp. honey
1¼ cups warm water (105˚-115˚ F), divided
1½ cups bread flour, divided
1½ cups whole wheat flour, divided
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp. salt
Cornmeal, for sprinkling



For instructions visit Annie's Eats food blog.  She also make amazing cupcakes, but they may have put me over budget and weight.


They were super easy, fun, and quick!  Kids can easily have fun helping with this recipe for all of you mom readers.


Here they are...Oh and I forgot to mention delicious! 


Did we cutback by $100??  I am proud to announce that we cut back by almost $200!! The pantry and fridge are completely void of all food except for salad dressing, pickles, and cereal.  

No comments:

Post a Comment