Monday, May 17, 2010

He likes his Cheeseburger

Matt and I went through college dating 844 miles apart!  That is a 14 hour drive! I hated and loved the airport. The airport was where I would run to him two times a year at Thanksgiving and Christmas dropping my bags and throwing myself into his arms.  And the airport is where I left him blurry eyed and drenched in tears.

It was the first time that I didn't have to mail him a package on his birthday in four years and I wanted to make it special.  He ordered mini hamburgers with an assortment of toppings and a carmel cake that his mom made him growing up.

Okay...burgers...I can definitely do that.  I found some mini rolls at Sam's club which I thought was such a steal- but we will be eating them for the next few months. I made guacamole, fried the bacon, cut the classic tomato, onion, lettuce, made horseradish sauce, bought the bbq, pepper jack cheese, cheddar cheese, american cheese, salsa, no mayo-doesn't like mayo.......

and we made these!!


Mine....pepper jack, mixture of bbq and horseradish, tomato lettuce and onion of course, and some bacon...Delicious

Now you are probably expecting to see a picture of the cake.  Honestly, I was so embarrassed I chose not to take one...but now am wishing I had for future laughs.  Matt's mom is amazing at making beautiful mouth watering cakes.  I mean I did not like cake before I tasted her chocolate ganache cake...and that cake is indescribably...looking for the word...just plain WOW!

I learned some lessons with cake last time...so I made sure I carved off the hump on the top of the cake so I didn't have a cake slide ( last time it resulted in me hugging the cake trying to keep it together).  

So I carved the cakes flat and poured the carmel filling on layer one. Note to self for next time...just because it makes 2 cups of filling doesn't mean you need it all- extra carmel can be a disaster.  I placed the second layer of cake on top of the filling and quickly noticed a disaster in the making.  What did I do?  Stuck it in the fridge..carmel cools hard right?  and I barricaded the cake with the milk, the oj, and the previous nights dinner.  This just made everything sticky.  My carmel oozed everywhere and hardened. So I iced the caked.   It tasted soooo gooood, but looked like a third grade volcano project. However, my cake did not slide!!!!...it just oozed.

Matt came home.  The kitchen was a disaster, the cake was a disaster, and I was pretending to not be a disaster.  Taste is all that matters though...right? 

2 comments:

  1. Another thing that will help - and saves you from having to cut the top off the cake - is to put the "rounded" part (the top that rises when baking) on the bottom - i.e., turn the cake upside-down so you can stack them, and they shouldn't slide much. Caramel, of course, is more challenging than other frostings... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well at least he liked it.
    he didnt seem to complain when we were all on the phone

    ReplyDelete